What do you do when an unexplainable problem occurs in your yacht’s electrical system? HyTEPS can find the source of your problems. Measuring and gaining insight is step one, but an even more important step is correctly analysing data, drawing the right conclusions and subsequently providing the right solutions. Our engineers have the knowledge, equipment and experience required to provide insight into the health of your electrical installation, or solve your problems.
When to measure?
- Unexplainable failures or malfunctions
- Flickering lights
- Problems with generators or motors starting up
- Overheating motors and generators
- Melting of cable insulation, possibly a (small) fire
- Defective equipment with a Short life span
- Requirement to gain insight in installation capacity
- … and many other situations
A HyTEPS Power Quality measurement
One of our engineers will perform Power Quality measurements during a predetermined period. This could be during a sea trial or a port visit. It is also possible to mount measurement equipment in one port, and pick it up at the next port.
|If there are existing problems in the installation
|If major changes are planned or the yacht is to be built
|Measurements will provide insight more quickly
|Simulations might be more cost effective.
The following values may be recorded during the Power Quality measurement
- Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) in the voltage and current
- Voltage and current (RMS, half-cycle, peak and fundamental)
- Events (dips, inrush currents, transients…)
- Power Factor / Cos Phi
- Power and energy (active, reactive, harmonic, apparent)
- Individual Harmonic distortion (HD) in the voltage and current (up to 50th harmonic)
- Flicker (Pst, Plt)
- Voltage and current unbalance
- Voltage and current Crest Factor
- EMC voltages
Permanent monitoring equipment
Permanent monitoring equipment is the best way to ensure you always know what the current status of your Power Quality is. Several classification organizations are already demanding this and will inspect logged data during visits. Optional custom alarms or integration with vessel management software can alert the crew to possible problems..
HyTEPS: expert in measurements in the field of Power Quality
HyTEPS is an expert in Power Quality measurements. We perform measurements all around the world, ranging from measurements geared towards finding the cause of a possible issue to permanent monitoring.
We would like to inform you about our Power Quality measurements on yachts: how we work, which reporting templates are available, the period during which measurement can take place, and all other questions that are important during a first contact.